We enable the effective transfer of gently-used household furniture from donors to families and individuals in need.
All families and individuals live in dignity in furnished homes.
- We believe that a vibrant, safe and sustainable foundation is in the best interest of present and future clients.
- We are passionate, caring, and enthusiastic in our support of persons in need.
- We believe that respect for and dignity of our clients is paramount; we treat all who come in contact with us with fairness, consistency, and honesty.
- We are accountable to our clients, employees, volunteers, partner agencies and communities of support for our actions.
- We believe that our legacy for future generations is our impact on our environment and we strive to dramatically reduce the amount of discarded household effects.
Message from the Chair
“There are certain things that are fundamental to human fulfillment. The essence of these needs is captured in the phrase 'to live, to love, to learn, to leave a legacy'. The need to live is our physical need for such things as food, clothing, shelter, economical well-being, health. The need to love is our social need to relate to other people, to belong, to love and to be loved. The need to learn is our mental need to develop and to grow. And the need to leave a legacy is our spiritual need to have a sense of meaning, purpose, personal congruence, and contribution” -- Stephen R. Covey
The words above resonate with all of us. Many of us are lucky enough to take these fundamental needs for granted, but many of us are not. What I’ve learned in my time at the Furniture Bank is that “families in need” is not an intellectual concept. The individuals and families we serve are real and come from all walks of life. Not one of them chooses to be in need. At the Furniture Bank, we believe that everyone has the right to have a home, to be safe and to leave a personal legacy, however large or small that it might be. Our staff and volunteers work every day with our many partners to help make that right a reality for everyone. Each year we strive to serve more and more families and make a greater difference in the GTA.
Chair, Furniture Bank