To receive furniture from Furniture Bank one needs to be referred from one of our partner agencies or shelters.
Please note! We do NOT make appointments directly with furniture recipients.
What are the costs involved?
If you are a client referred by one of our agencies, you do not pay anything for the furniture or household items that you will receive. If you do not have your own transportation, Furniture Bank provides a delivery service which is available at a nominal fee.
Public Health concerns
At Furniture Bank, we work hard to ensure that every piece of furniture we provide for our clients that are clean and free of bed-bugs. We do the following to do as much as we can to control bed-bugs:
- Our drivers inspect every piece for any apparent infestations before putting pieces on the truck.
- We check any items that are covered in fabric individually. These items are then also steam cleaned.
- Items are steam cleaned at 135 to 142 degrees temperature, the correct temperature to kill bedbugs.
- When we do find pieces of furniture that are infected we strictly follow the instructions as laid out by Toronto Public Health for disposal: items are sealed tight in a plastic bag to protect our facilities from contamination, and are then disposed.
- Our facilities are routinely inspected by a dog trained specifically to detect bed-bugs.