Furniture Bank wouldn’t be where it is today without the support and dedication of over 700 corporate and individual volunteers contributing 10,000 hours per year to our cause. In fact, we’re on track to have over 1,000 volunteers volunteer with us in 2015 alone, a feat that we are quite proud of.
In this post we do our best to answer the 5 most FAQs we get from interested volunteers looking to get involved. We hope the answers to these questions help you navigate your search for a meaningful volunteer opportunity in the Greater Toronto Area.
5 Furniture Bank Volunteer FAQs:
1. What volunteer opportunities does Furniture Bank offer?
Client service volunteers work on the front lines with Furniture Bank’s clients, helping them select furniture for their newly established homes. Volunteers take clients around our showroom floor and help them choose the furniture and housewares they need to make their house a livable home, keeping track of the selected items on iPads.
Warehouse volunteers help stage orders unload trucks and perform the behind the scenes tasks that need to get done in order for us to deliver furniture to our clients in an effective and timely manner and make sure our showroom is stocked with furniture for clients to select.
Workshop volunteers help repair, sand and stain furniture items that are slightly damaged so we can put them back into our donation stream for clients to select. If you have experience in furniture repair, woodworking and/or upholstery and would like to give back to the community or learn new skills this is a great opportunity for you.
Office administration volunteers support various departments especially finance with data entry, general bookkeeping, filing and IT support.
Marketing volunteers support Furniture Bank’s small but powerful marketing team develop content, graphic design support and general with writing tasks.
Workplace groups up to 12 can come in for a morning and work together to give back to the community and experience the different volunteer activities that Furniture Bank has to offer.
2. What is the time commitment for volunteering at Furniture Bank?
Volunteer Time Commitments
Furniture Bank is open between 9am-4:30pm Monday to Friday for volunteering. Depending on the volunteer position schedules may vary.
- Client Services: 9am-12pm, at least one shift per week
- Warehouse: 9am-4:30pm, at least one shift per week
- Office Administration: 9am-4:30pm, at least one shift per week
- Marketing Volunteer: flexible hours, work on site or remotely on a project to project basis
- Corporate Volunteering: 8:30am-12:30 pm
3. How many volunteers can Furniture Bank accommodate on corporate and group volunteer days?
Group Sizes and Schedule
Furniture Bank can accommodate group sizes of up to 8.
4. When does Furniture Bank have corporate and group volunteer days
Volunteer Day schedule and Agenda
Furniture Bank has corporate and group volunteer days Monday to Friday from 8:30am-12:30pm.
5. What is proper attire for volunteering at Furniture Bank?
- Comfortable clothes and footwear
- steel toe boots in the workshop (we have toe caps on site if needed)
- work gloves in workshop and workshop (we have on site)
Ready to get involved? Fill out the form below