‘5 important things to consider when buying a new sofa’
Guest post by Jennifer Young, Furniture Bank volunteer
Strolling through the sofa section of a furniture store can be overwhelming experience with a seemingly endless variety of shapes, colours, and sizes. If you’re in the market to buy a new sofa, here are 5 things to consider:
- Function: Think about where you plan to put the new sofa. It’s absolutely vital to check measurements to ensure your new sofa will fit in your space (and through the doors)! There are also sofas with built-in storage and pullout beds if you’re looking to hide clutter or to accommodate guests.
- Structure: A sturdy frame made from heavy solid wood will last for years while lighter wood or particleboard will eventually warp and crack. And ideally, you want as few separate parts as possible. The legs should be part of the frame or attached with screws (because using just glue isn’t strong enough).
- Fabric: Your lifestyle will dictate your fabric choice. Delicate linens and embroidered jacquard textiles are stylish options but kids, pets, and everyday use will require a more durable fabric. Look for fabrics that are easy to clean and stain resistant – such as synthetic microfibres. If you choose a leather sofa, don’t forget to condition the leather regularly to keep it from drying out and developing cracks.
- Filling: The inside of the sofa is just as important as the outside and sofa cushion fillings are as varied as pillows and mattresses. If the sofa has springs, they should feel close together and firm. Other sofas use foam. Pick a high-density foam that feels hard – if the foam is already soft when you test it, it will only flatten and wear out over time.
- And what to do with your old sofa? Please don’t immediately drag your old sofa to the curb! If your old sofa is still in good condition and is gently used, there are many charitable organizations that will accept furniture – your donation will help a family in need and you avoid sending more waste to the landfill. Furniture Bank offers a full furniture pick up and removal service for your gently used furniture. They will come to your home, remove your furniture, get it to a family in need and get you a tax receipt for your furniture donation. Contact 416-934-1229 Ext #2 to learn more about the furniture removal service and book a pickup.