ORGANIZING…KEEP IT SIMPLE STRATEGIES
Credit: Downsizing Diva
Space, storage, room, whatever you want to call it as, is what everyone hopes to have more of. Why? Obviously to store more of our own belongings, things we treasure.
But, did you know that…our stuff expands to fit the space we have. So it is not really about finding more space, but really making the most of the space you have now.
Basic Organizing Tips
A place for everything and everything in its place
- There is a reason this saying has been around for as long as it has. It makes sense. If you only take items you want, use and need to your new home, you have taken a huge step to successful space management.
- Do not rush to put everything away in closets, drawers and cupboards. Pre-plan and find the best place for items once you move in.
- Think about where items will be used and who will be using them. Keep frequently used items in a central, accessible place.
- This rule works best for items that are purchased on a regular basis. Store paper products, laundry and cleaning supplies together. This way it is easier to keep track of what you have and when you have to buy more.
- Tape, staplers, scissors, pens, envelopes and paper should be kept in an area where bills are paid and schedules are kept.
One in, one out
- Follow this rule to create and manage effective space management systems in your new home.
- This also applies to clothing purchases. For every new item you add to your closet, donate or discard one item.
If you haven’t used it in a year, donate or discard it
- Stay on top of your stuff in your new home and you will never be overwhelmed with clutter again.
Read more on how you can utilize these downsizing 101 tips to make the most out of the space you currently have.