Accessing Furniture Bank
For families and agencies – how to access the community program services.
How to access the program
Furniture Bank supports families and individuals experiencing furniture poverty, including women and children leaving shelters, people transitioning from homelessness, and newcomers and refugees to Canada.
- You cannot make an appointment directly with Furniture Bank.
You must be referred by one of our agency partners.
- If you have a worker from a social service agency, please ask your worker if the organization is a Furniture Bank Partner. If it is, your worker will let you know if you are eligible to receive a Furniture Bank Referral.
Your community agencies
We work in partnership with over 115 community agencies and shelters to assist marginalized individuals and families who need furniture. Our partner agencies play a critical role by helping to screen potential furniture recipients. This helps us focus on our commitment to ensuring those who transition out of homelessness and displacement are given the best possible chance to succeed in life.
- Centre for Addiction & Mental Health (CAMH)
- Centre francophone de Toronto
- Community Matters Toronto
- Dixon Hall
- Good Shepherd Ministries
- Homes First Society (Savard’s Women’s Shelter)
- John Howard Society of Toronto
- North York Harvest Food Bank
- The Learning Enrichment Foundation
- Native Men’s Residence
- Reconnect Mental Health Services
- Rexdale Community Health Centre
- Romero House
- The 519
- Youth Without Shelter
Become a Furniture Bank referring agency
If your social service agency is NOT a Furniture Bank partner, and they would like to become one – fill in this form!
FREE for agencies to join.
All of your questions answered.
PLEASE NOTE: You must be referred to Furniture Bank by a partner agency or shelter.
- Individuals and families cannot make appointments directly with Furniture Bank and we do not accept walk-ins.
- If you would like to receive furniture from Furniture Bank, you must be referred to us by one of our partner agencies.
- If you already receive assistance from a social service agency, please have your worker determine if the organization is one of our partner agencies. If it is, and you meet criteria, your worker will be able to book an appointment for you.
- If you do not currently have a social worker, please contact one of our partner agencies.
Many clients we serve receive government support such as OW or ODSP. However, your OW or ODSP worker cannot refer you to Furniture Bank.
Only agencies partnered with us can refer you to Furniture Bank. You can ask your worker to help find one of these agencies.
I’ve tried calling one of the agencies on the website, they said they cannot refer me. Who should I call?
How do partner agencies book an appointment to receive the furniture?
All agencies have different criteria to determine eligibility for a referral.
Please see our partner agency list and contact the agencies that fall under the category that best describes your circumstances. For example, if you are a newcomer, seek an agency that serves newcomers.
Some agencies only serve certain populations. If you do not succeed with the first agency, please continue to call other agencies on the list.
There are many agencies that help a diverse clientele, please check the list to see if you qualify to receive support from other agencies.
The wait time to get an appointment varies.
You should expect a wait time of approximately 1-4 weeks.
Is the furniture new? Is the furniture offered free of charge?
- Typically no.
- 99% of the furniture we receive is gently-used. We do sometimes receive donations from corporate partners, but the vast majority of the items available come to us second-hand from generous members from the community.
- The style and condition of the items available vary greatly from week to week, as we rotate stock quickly.
Is the furniture offered free of charge?
YES. All clients of Furniture Bank have access to an allotted number of items free of charge. The allotment is based on the number of family members in the client’s household.
There is a delivery fee, however, to transport selected items from Furniture Bank to your new home. Delivery cost begins at $200 for a truck and team of Furniture Bank verified movers depending on the number of items selected.
Yes. All furniture selected by clients is delivered to their homes – usually within a week of their appointment.
PLEASE NOTE: There is a fee for this delivery service. This subsidized fee starts from $200 to an amount based on the number of items selected.
Note: Some social agencies have arranged separate arrangements with Furniture Bank and there is no charge to the family.
We deliver to Toronto, Scarborough, Brampton, Mississauga, Aurora, Markham, Oakville, Richmond Hill, Vaughn, and Thornhill.
- No. All furniture is delivered to clients by our moving team.
- After your appointment, our team will schedule your furniture delivery, typically within a week of your visit to Furniture Bank.