Furniture Bank’s bed bug prevention process
We actively take steps to ensure that bed bugs do not enter our premises or the furniture we transfer to clients. Our primary prevention method is inspection: we ensure that every item of furniture is thoroughly inspected before coming into our possession. When in doubt we will opt to refuse a furniture donation.
- It starts with the first conversation with a furniture donor – we ask for clean, gently used pieces of furniture, free of rips, tears, stains or other problems.
- When our drivers arrive at a pickup location, they inspect all donated items for any visual sign of infestation. An item will not be accepted if there is any evidence that suggests bed bugs are present.
- Furniture items are then inspected when they are transferred to our warehouse.
- When ready for the Client Showroom, we inspect the items again before they are moved to the showroom.
- Furthermore, our facilities undergo an in-depth inspection every week by a professional bed bug inspection service together with a bed bug sniffing dog.
In the event of any evidence of a bed bug concern, the item in question is immediately bagged and discarded in the garbage disposal area outside our building, and steps taken to cleanse compromised areas.
These efforts have proved successful to date. In the last 2 years, we have helped 18,000 people and transferred close to 120,000 items of furniture to clients, of which there have been just 2 cases of a reported bed bug issue – a 99.98% prevention rate!
And we are committed to improving!
On top of the prevention process described above, Furniture Bank is committed to improving our bed bug prevention program in line with what the organization can afford to provide consistently. In 2016, Furniture Bank’s leadership team committed to taking the following additional steps:
- Being one of Canada’s largest growing Social Enterprises that is hiring and training many new employees, to formalize training for all pickup drivers, helpers and warehouse staff on a regular basis, to be able to carry out in-depth inspections of furniture;
- Furniture Bank trucks will be steam cleaned regularly to further prevent the transfer of bed bugs via our trucks, and driver helpers will be trained to detect any evidence of infestation in our trucks;
- To continue to be proactive in following all measures in preventing the spread of bed bugs, and to investigate all best practices available to us within our means.