A Gathering of Furniture Banks
A little background, Bill Lemke and I have spoken at length about creating a sustainable community to support furniture banks around North America. So in January, he kick-started a regional meeting of organizations that might all come together to share resources and observations. While a small group, it highlighted for me that gathering, sharing, and problem-solving together is an important role of a community. Attending the event:
- Dunetchka Otero-Serrano, Executive Director, Community Warehouse Portland, OR
- Megan Smith, Communication Director, Community Warehouse
- Anna Kurnizki, Development Director, Community Warehouse
- Joe Glode, Program Director, Community Warehouse
- Dan Kershaw, Executive Director, Toronto Furniture Bank, Canada
- Ray Piontek, Founder and Executive Director, Bay Area Furniture Bank, CA
- Bill Lemke, Executive Director, NW Furniture Bank, WA
- Jeremy Simler, Director of Development, NW Furniture Bank
- Matt Hageness, Director of Operations, NW Furniture Bank
45 days later…
While we discussed getting a virtual community moving, I was fortunate to secure the corporate support from Furniture Link Inc. (where we are now as you read this) to get the ‘virtual community going’. So here we are – the beginnings of a community that permit members to:
- Furniture Bank Round Table forum – where conversations around different topics can occur privately with other furniture bank members.
- Upload, download, share, comment and collaborate on documents and materials together
- Share research on measurement and impact
- Look at best practice examples from other communities to use in your own.
- Connect with Furniture Link when there are ‘free goods’ opportunities in your community through Furniture Link’s project.
- More to come as the community helps shape it.
So if you are a Furniture Bank in North America – please join – to get access. Its FREE for us, so no downside for us and our limited resources.
- See the Members Map –https://www.furniturelink.co/fbn/
- Discuss at the Round Table – https://www.furniturelink.co/furniture-bank-network/community/
- The North American Member List – https://www.furniturelink.co/community/members/
- Member Resource Center – https://www.furniturelink.co/furniture-bank-network/member-resources/
Anyway much more to come, but wanted to highlight for the furniture banks out there, we’ve got a virtual community started. Where it goes from here we will see together.
Thanks, Bill, Dunetchka, Ray and your teams for a great Community Event.
PS. Any of your FB team members that would LOVE to join me in curating and improving the community website – do let me know!