PLAN FOR A GREEN MOVE
Credit: Downsizing Diva
There is so much involved in moving homes, from something as simple as hiring a moving company to something as detailed as using a phone app to help you record what items are packed in what box. Moving can be an exciting experience, but it can be very stressful and have a negative impact on the environment.
Go green by moving green.
What is a green move? Green moving is household moving with an effort to use eco-friendly materials and reduce emissions during transport.
Tips on making your move more eco-friendly
- Move less stuff – the more things you take with you, the more fuel you consume. Reducing load before you move may seem like a lot of work, but remember, the less you pack, the less you have to unpack.
- Keep pre-move purchases to a minimum – once the decision to move is made, restrict purchases to items specifically required for your move like packing and moving supplies. This is not the time to stock up on new things.
- Use consumable items now – plan meals around the food already in your fridge, freezer, and cupboards. Clean with the cleaning products you currently have. Whenever possible, use it, do not move it.
- Arrange for major purchases to be delivered – if your move includes purchasing major items like sofas, beds or appliances, ask the store to deliver to your new home.
- Upgrade to environmentally-friendly appliances – compressors in refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners do not travel well. Recycle the inefficient ones and replace them with environmentally-friendly ones at your new home.
- Boxes – choose your pick: new or used, cardboard or plastic? The best moving boxes are clean, sturdy and easy to carry. Do not forget to recycle boxes and packing materials after your move.
- Think inside the box – use what you already have to pack breakable items. Like linens (blankets, towels, sheets, even clothing), instead of newspaper or bubble wrap. You can save money this way and also space in the moving truck by using appropriate packing boxes.
With these eco-friendly moving tips, let’s reduce our carbon footprint and make our environment greener.
Read more on how to dispose of household hazardous waste (HHW).