Good morning all,
We wanted to keep all stakeholders in Furniture Bank updated on the evolving COVID challenge.
A reminder Furniture Bank has been navigating COVID planning since January 27th with training from a Paramedic Trainer with first-hand experience handling with SARS and other infectious diseases here in Toronto. Since then, Sean and the team have regularly monitored the situation, made necessary changes to policies and processes with ongoing adjustments as facts evolve.
At this time, we are NOT considering any closing / pause in operations of Furniture Bank, but we will continue to monitor conditions and adjust accordingly.
Furniture Bank’s current policy is below.
- Furniture Bank is still serving and operating as usual.
- Management is monitoring and adapting this policy as facts and directives from local Government come.
- No known infected person(s) have come in contact with our staff/volunteers.
- Since February 5th, our Client Services Team has been screening and continue to screen daily, all visiting clients and workers for any Flu.
- A survey to families is provided upon arrival, pre-check in.
- As of March 12th, we are asking a general travel history for the past 30 days.
- When a client answer is ‘Yes’ to the Flu Survey, the client/worker is spoken to privately on site and, in most cases, the appointment is rescheduled.
- We relay that they will receive an appointment when they are well but not before a minimum of 14 days; Client Services then sends an email to the partner agency representing the client with an update.
- We added the following to our ‘Client Confirmation Form Email Template’ that has the appointment details and date/time:
IF YOU OR A FAMILY MEMBER HAVE THE FLU OR FLU LIKE SYMPTOMS OR HAVE TRAVELLED OUTSIDE OF CANADA IN THE LAST 30 DAYS OR BEEN CONTACT WITH SOMEONE THAT HAS, DO NOT ATTEND THE APPOINTMENT AND INFORM YOUR WORKER IMMEDIATELY. PLEASE READ BEFORE ATTENDING.
- We have signage up in the front office that indicates: ‘Smiles, waves, or elbow bumps are the new handshake. Protect each other from the Flu’ We are adding distance guidelines to the signage, the distance between desks and workstations as well as employees and customers should ideally be 2 metres.
- We’ve invested in many hand sanitizer stations and have installed them all throughout the building. We have disinfectant wipes to clean stations daily.
- Updates/reminders are given to driving teams during daily huddles.
- All teams are armed with disinfectant sprays and wipes and are encouraged to follow the distance guidelines above.
- With the pandemic escalation, we are keeping a very close eye on new developments.
Sean and the team will be updating staff and volunteers in daily huddles with any new developments.
Executive Director, Furniture Bank (Toronto)
Furniture Bank Network Champion