We work as a furniture transport and processing hub, a high-touch / heavy lifting profession, and we are taking the COVID-19 pandemic very seriously. Our good friends at Downsizing Diva reminded us that our customers need to know what we are doing with staff training to allow them to understand the safety standards by which we hold our staff too.
To prevent workplace exposure, decrease the spread and lower the impact of COVID-19, and provide a common set of guides for staff we’ve used the World Health Organization and Health Canada protocols to create our own FURNITURE BANK COMMITMENT TO WORKPLACE HEALTH. This will be signed by all staff and be apart of all employment agreements going forward. Full text below.
Full Text Version
OUR COMMITMENT TO WORKPLACE SAFETY
GOAL: To prevent workplace exposures and to decrease the spread and lower the impact of COVID-19 amongst all Furniture Bank stakeholders.
Following World Health Organization and Government of Canada recommendations, these Furniture Bank policies are in place for our staff and independent Contractors:
- Team Members who are sick must stay home. Those who have COVID-19 symptoms must stay home and not return to work until they are symptom-free for at least 7 days.
- Team Members who share a residence with someone exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms, must continue to self-isolate for 7 days after the patient has recovered, before returning to work.
- Team Members who report to work and then develop symptoms will be sent home immediately.
- Furniture Bank will emphasize staying home when sick, respiratory etiquette and hand hygiene by all Team Members.
- Furniture Bank will provide liquid soap, alcohol-based disposable wipes and hand sanitizer in the workplace and encourage Team Members to carry and use these products on the job site.
- Team Members have been instructed to avoid touching their eyes, nose and mouth.
- Team Members will use soap, disinfectant wipes and sprays. They will wash their hands regularly and wipe down and disinfect all frequently touched surfaces in the workplace, including but not limited to supply bags, purses, wagons, tools, dollies, countertops, phones and keyboards, light switches, furniture and doorknobs. Sanitizing wipes will be used when entering and leaving client homes.
- If a Team Member is diagnosed with COVID-19, we will inform fellow Team Members and others possibly exposed to COVID-19 in the workplace.
- Furniture Bank will continue to monitor WHO and Health Canada and City of Toronto websites for updates and recommendations to identify possible exposure and health risks to clients and Team Members. Appropriate action will be taken, when necessary.
- Furniture Bank will prepare for a possible increase in numbers of employees who are absent due to illness. We will review daily with employees the active safety protocols we have in place in our working environment.
- Furniture Bank will assess job requests and prioritize accordingly. We will be prepared to change business practices, if needed, to maintain critical operations.
- Teleconference/online meetings will replace all face-to-face Team Member meetings.
- Furniture Bank will cross-train Team Members to perform essential functions so we can continue to operate even if key staff are absent.
I fully understand and will comply with the Furniture Bank Commitment, as outlined above.
Furniture Bank Employee Name ________________
* This will be amended to your employment file.