How Do People Celebrate Earth Day?
Earth Day, celebrated annually on April 22, is a worldwide event demonstrating support for environmental protection. Debuting in the United States in 1970, it is now celebrated in more than 192 countries!
This week in accordance with Earth Day, organizations and community groups from around the globe will be hosting fun innovative events to raise awareness of environmental issues in their communities.
For example, In Africa, the Jambo Africa Tourism Organization Network will be educating local women in Kenya on the advantages of using bamboo cook stoves (Facebook page here). In China, Beijing hikers are rallying together to clean up the Great Wall. And in Latin America, the Keep Bermuda Beautiful organization will host an art competition for art made from trash found on local beaches.
7 Inspiring Earth Day Quotes for you to share today:
1. “What is the use of a house if you haven’t got a tolerable planet to put it on?”
-Henry David Thoreau
2. “Sooner or later, we will have to recognize that the Earth has rights, too, to live without pollution. What mankind must know is that human beings cannot live without Mother Earth, but the planet can live without humans.”
3. “There are no passengers on Spaceship Earth. We are all crew.”
4. “We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.”
-Native American Proverb
5. The environment is where we all meet; where all have a mutual interest; it is the one thing all of us share.”
-Lady Bird Johnson
6. “Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.”
7. I only feel angry when I see waste. When I see people throwing away things we could use.”