FURNITURE DONATION IN TORONTO: ITEMS WE CAN ACCEPT
While we’d love to accept all donations, our mission is to provide our clients with the essential items needed to create a home, such as chairs, tables, sofas, dressers, and housewares. If you live in Toronto and are looking to donate furniture, there are a few things to keep in mind.
Want to donate furniture in Toronto? Here are the Items we accept
Is your used furniture or appliance suitable for donation pick up? These items will be in new homes within days after we get them!
- End tables
- Bookshelves (no taller than 6 feet)
- Sofas & couches
- Night tables
- Desks (no larger than 4 feet)
- Beds. We accept gently-used mattresses (free of stains or tears), box spring, and metal castor rails that allow beds to be elevated from the ground.
- Flat-screen TVs of any size
- Tube style TVs (screen must be no larger than 32 inches)
- DVD/VCR Players
- Stereos & radios
- Electric fans and space heaters
- Small kitchen appliances
- Small kitchen appliances (e.g. toasters, blenders, coffee makers, microwave etc.)
- Kitchen tables
- Rugs (no larger than 8 x 11 feet)
Items we cannot accept
These items won’t make it to the families we support.
- Major appliances
(e.g. stoves, fridges, dishwashers, washers & dryers)
- Console TVs
- Linens & Clothing
- Large floor model TVs
- Tube style TVs with screens larger than 32 inches
- Power tools
- Sports & exercise equipment
- Patio furniture
- Broadloom carpets
- Rugs and carpets larger than 8 x 11 ft
- Wooden bedframes
- Headboards / foot boards
- Trundle beds
- Day beds
- Desks longer than 4 feet
- ‘L shaped’ desks
- Any standing units taller than 6 feet
- Standard Sofas no longer than 7 feet
- Sectional Sofas that are longer than 6 feet each piece
- Sofa beds or futons longer than 6 feet
- Baby items and toys
- Musical instruments
- Sewing machines
- Window blinds
- Mobility items (walkers, wheelchairs, bathroom assistance equipment)
- Marble items
FURNITURE AND APPLIANCE DONATION IN TORONTO: THREE THINGS TO CONSIDER
Our mission is to help marginalized and displaced families and individuals escape furniture poverty. Our goal is to give them a helping hand as they get back on their feet and regain stability. By sharing your gently-used furniture, you will tangibly change the life of a neighbour in need.
At Furniture Bank Toronto, here are three things we consider when evaluating a possible furniture or appliance donation:
- Is the item in good condition?
All donated items MUST be in good, usable condition – free from stains, tears, odors or major damage.
- Is the piece free-standing and shorter than 6′?
In the large majority of cases, our clients are moving into smaller apartments. Many also do not own tools. We want to make it as easy as possible for them to move in, set up and get back on their feet with furniture that will fit their units and does not need assembly.
- Is it something our families need?
While we’d love to accept all donations, our mission is to provide our clients with the essential items needed to create a home, such as chairs, tables, sofas, dressers, and housewares.